Join the Team
If you live in Winchester and enjoy your food and drink, chances are you’ve already been to Cabinet Rooms. We’re an award-winning, independent café-bar based opposite the theatre and are best known for our cosy, welcoming atmosphere and our classic cocktails.
There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes and we're always on the look out for dedicated and hard-working team players so even if your ideal job isn't listed below, it's always worth getting in touch with the owners, Gary and Marcus, with your CV.
Our Senior Bartender will be responsible for ensuring the bar is fully stocked and prepared for service. They’ll be responsible for ensuring a slick operation and that drinks are always made to spec to a consistently high standard and delivered in a timely manner.
Their passion for quality spirits and flavour making will support their involvement in menu planning and training for the rest of the team.
They’ll be a creative thinker and will not only play a key role in developing new drinks but also how they are sold and marketed.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- To help plan and deliver seasonal cocktails menus
- To investigate new products on the market
- To meet with drinks reps and attend product training sessions off-site as required
- To assist the General Manager in creating new drinks products for sale in-store and online
- To work with the Kitchen Manager in developing and producing drinks garnishes
- To ensure all activities and communications are ‘on brand’ and in line with the Cabinet Rooms house style.
- To feed back to the Directors any customer comments and enquiries.
- To ensure the team understands and supports the company campaign plan and ensure all activities are in line with it.
- To ensure promotional information for Cabinet Rooms and associated events is on display and/ or readily available for enquirers as appropriate.
Cost Control and Budgeting
- To work with the Supervisor to ensure that stock ordering is carried out within pre-agreed parameters and always within budget unless with prior arrangement with the General Manager.
- To alert the General Manager to any cost increases from suppliers as soon as they are known.
- To ensure that private events are operated within budget.
- To complete close down ‘cash out’ procedures and report figures to the Managing Director in a pre-agreed format as required.
- To be accountable for variances in the daily till reports.
- To complete weekly banking and change orders as required by the General Manager.
- To support the General Manager with stock ordering and carrying out regular stock takes.
- To maintain thorough wastage records and actively work with the team to reduce waste levels.
- To ensure that all activities support revenue generation and cost saving objectives.
- To check delivery notes and pass to Managing Director for reconciling.
- To be fully up-to-date with Cabinet Rooms events and actively promote them to customers.
- To be fully trained in the use of company payment tools (e.g. Paypal Here) and process ticket sales as required.
- To act as an ambassador for the business and take advantage of opportunities to promote it and its events.
- To carry out periodical price comparisons to ensure that supplies are competitive and good value for money.
- To support the General Manager and Managing Director in creating menus.
Health and Safety
- To ensure compliance with company policies and procedures relating to food hygiene.
- To report all accidents, ‘near miss’ incidents and work-related ill health conditions to a Director.
- To follow internal safety rules and procedures and promote them within the team.
- To use work equipment, personal protective equipment, substances and safety devices correctly.
- To take a leading role in safety training and risk assessments and suggest ways of reducing risks.
- To check premises throughout the course of shift to ensure that they are safe and alert a Director immediately if anything needs to be addressed.
- To carry out weekly premises checks and ensure fire safety equipment is checked regularly
- To maintain high levels of customer service at all times, in line with policies and procedures.
- To promote food and drink consumption by educating customers.
- To follow the order of service and ensure that effective communication between staff members enables a smooth service at all times.
- To manage customer complaints in a sensitive and effective way while protecting the business.
- To supervise the bar team on a day-to-day basis.
- To design and deliver training for the team and actively work towards enabling staff to reach their full potential
- To manage the cleaning of equipment and workspaces in accordance with the checklists and weekly cleaning schedule.
- To supervise cleaning of floors, furniture and facilities as required on a daily basis.
Operations and Event Planning
- Open and close the café as required.
- Be an official key holder, registered with the Company’s security firm, and react to call-outs as required.
- To have an infallible working knowledge of the bar including product knowledge
- To prepare food and drink in accordance with the company’s food and safety management system.
- To assist the General Manager in the management of bookings and the operation of the cafe- bar programme of events e.g. Book Group and Secret Underground Film Society
- To operate private events, workshops and masterclasses as required either at the Café or off- site.
- To support the set up and break-down of events.
- To work at public events off-site as required.
- Undertake ad hoc tasks to support the Managing Director with the planning and delivery of events as required.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the Data Protection Act (2018) at all times.
- To support the General Manager with the recruitment and training of staff as required.
- To maintain a professional image and represent the Cabinet Rooms brand in a positive way.
- To regularly update knowledge of products and the industry through training and reading.
- To undertake ad hoc duties as requested by a Director to support other activities falling under the Cabinet Rooms Collection Ltd group of brands.
Education, Qualifications and Training
- Educated to A-level
- Educated to degree level
- Food Hygiene Level 2
- Full, clean driving licence
- Personal Licence Holder
Experience and Competencies
Experience in cocktail bartending
Knowledge of wines and spirits
Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think on your feet and work well under pressure
Experience of supervising or managing a team
Experience of managing front of house operations in a premium quality hospitality business
Ability to provide consistent excellent customer service to the public
Polite and courteous manner
Interest in and passion for quality food and drink
Welcoming, warm and respectful approach
Honest and effective communicator
Proactive, can-do attitude
Drive and ambition to increase sales
Strong social media skills